7.07.2011

Orzo Pasta Salad

The husby has a little potluck going on at his office today and he asked me if I would make something for him to bring. I decided to make Orzo salad. I have the most delicious recipe given to me from my yoga teacher and good friend Lane (who recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy named Cove!). It's super easy, super healthy and it's easy to make enough for a large group. I've never shared a recipe on Sappy Apple before, so here is my first! I hope you enjoy it. The secret ingredient is freshly chopped mint. It just adds so much numminess to the salad. I've been using mint from the garden in everything lately. I think the last thing I made for Evan's office was minty too. They're going to think i'm obsessed!

ORZO PASTA SALAD

•4 cups of chicken broth (or water if you're out of chicken broth)
•1 1/2 cups of orzo pasta
•1 can of drained garbanzo beans (chick peas)
•As many grape tomatoes as you like cut into halves (I use an entire container)
•Chopped red pepper (optional)
•3/4 cups of finely chopped red onion
•1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil
•1/4 cup of chopped mint (so good)
•Salt (sea-salt it best) and pepper to taste

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in orzo and add a splash of olive oil or cooking oil so pasta doesn't stick together too much. (Cook for roughly 7 minutes or until broth has pretty much soaked into pasta. Stir while pasta is cooling occasionally. (The stirring and dressing will break it up if super sticky). Mix the orzo and the salad together.

Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing

•1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
•1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
•3 teaspoons of liquid honey or maple syrup
•2 teaspoons of sea salt
•3/4 teaspoons of fresh ground pepper
•1 cup of olive oil

Mix vinegar, lemon juice, honey/maple syrup. Then whisk in the oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour dressing into pasta salad, mix and enjoy. This is one of those dishes that tastes better if left over night but it's up to you.

3 comments:

  1. that looks super yummy!

    i would, however, strongly discourage using chicken stock for the orzo, as most people will think the dish is vegetarian (or even vegan!) and it might trick some into getting sick/breaking their dietary restrictions :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point especially when feeding a group of people you don't know well. I did make sure to tape the ingredients to the bowl in case of any dietary restrictions:)

    ReplyDelete